Until today I had only learned how to use the HTML and CSS markup language, since that is not exactly coding, I wanted to learn how to use the programming language Python.
The course I am learning is Python For Absolute Beginners from the education site Skillshare.
Below are the topics I learned from the first four lessons in the Python course.
1. Installing Python
The very first thing I learned was how to install the python environment onto the Mac OS.
This seems very simple but I was not aware of what a new coding environment was.
- Download Python for Mac OS from https://python.org
- Install the Python application
- Open a terminal window to run the python3 command from the terminal command line.
2. GNU nano
In this lesson I learned how to operate with GNU nano which Is a text editor. Similar to notepad.
- Moving the program I created in the last video called “python.py” into GNU nano
- I then edited it by using GNU nano commands like: ctrl T which sends it to files and ctrl X which cancels what you just commanded it to do
- After creating a command like (‘Hello World’) you want to type in Python3 which opens up the print command
- You then type in print(‘insert whatever you want’) and press enter this will give you a script command
Printing addition, division etc. problems
- After opening the print command, simply type in a math problem and press enter, python will do it for you
Using the exit command
- If you are don’t using the print command you type exit() and press enter
- This will clear whatever you have just done